Wednesday, March 6, 2013

DIY Alphabet Magnets!

Hiya Peeps! Kerri here...


I am here to share with you a little craft I made last week, just because I was in the mood. Occasionally, the crafting spirit will overwhelm me and I will be inspired by something I see at Michaels. Most of the time, I see something and go, "Eh, cute, but I'm too lazy!" :)
This time it was wooden alphabet tiles and the Mod Podge dimensional magic that drew me in. 
Have you used this stuff? It is AWESOME!! It adds a hard coat of dimensional shine to any project, and it is SUPER easy to use. Here's what I did to make my alphabet magnets:

Step one-purchase cute alphabet stickers and place on wooden alphabet tiles. I got 60 of them for $5 at Michaels. Easy peasy and cheap too.

Step 2-cover the stickers with a thin layer of mod podge. I used glitter mod podge, cause it's my favorite, of course!! :)

Step 3-After that dries (approximately 30 minutes), use the Mod Podge dimensional magic and cover each tile. You can be generous with the stuff, it will not spill over the sides of the tile. If you get an air bubble in it, just use a pin to pop it. It goes on opaque but dries clear and shiny!!


Step four-Let these dry overnight so they are super hard and sealed. Then, add a little magnet dot to the back (I got 300 of them from Lakeshore for $8!)... I put the magnet on the side that had the little black alphabet letter on it.

And VOILA!! You are good to go! It is hard to see the dimensional magic in these pics, but trust me, it's there!!


Here are some other ones I just made with different alphabet stickers...
Sooo pretty and fun, huh?? I am going to use these on magnetic boards for word building, my CVC blending puzzles, my alphabet mystery puzzles, oh the possibilities are ENDLESS!

I hope you found this tutorial informative and fun and I'd LOVE to know if you have used Mod Podge dimensional magic before! It is super fabulous!!
XOXO Kerri B

8 comments:

Miss Kindergarten said...

LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!

The Daily Alphabet said...

Oh, that is such a great idea, thanks for sharing!

Angela
The Daily Alphabet

First Grade Buddies said...

These are really great and perfect for word work!!

:) Tamra and Sarah
firstgradebuddies2.blogspot.com

Jenn Bates said...

Cute!!! I have to admit I am a Mod Podge virgin. Can you believe it?
Jenn
Finally in First

Nikki Lishinski said...

Oh. My. Goodness. I loooove these!!! I see a weekend craft project in my future :)

Nikki
thecozyclassroom.blogspot.com

Fluttering Through First Grade said...

These are amazing and so stinkin cute! Ohhh the possibilities are endless!

~Christy & Tammy
Fluttering Through First Grade

Lesson Plan SOS Teachers said...

These are adorable! Thanks for sharing! :)
Melissa

Unknown said...

As there is no sticky on the returning of the stickers, vinyl decals and stickers can be used by kids without the fear of creating difficult represents where they are not wanted anymore!!!

Post a Comment