Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Tuesday Randomness and a Math FREEBIE!

Hi friends! Kerri here...
I have tons to share today and I am not exactly sure why? But anyways, here we go...
Here are my bowl of fruit art projects that I got straight out of the TLC art book "Fall" (Do you have it?? It is seriously AWESOME!) I think they are so sweet and classy...

I like the dots on his letters. I think he was channeling me when he wrote this!

We will be writing about what we are thankful for tomorrow using the paper I shared in this post, and gluing both onto large construction paper to be hung up. Very festive!


Next idea comes straight from my mom, who was a teacher for 35 years and is my hero. She helps out in my classroom every Friday (I know! How spoiled am I??) and she is simply AMAZING! She used to cut out all kinds of pictures from old magazines and have her kids use them as writing prompts. Since she retired, she gives all of the pictures she finds to me so my kiddos can do the same thing. I introduced it today and the kids were SOOO stoked. They thought the pictures were HILARIOUS and the pictures really helped them to describe what they saw in the picture. Check out a few...
I love how he predicted what they would do with the wood here...

I love that she added herself to the picture...

This little guy was NOT stoked to get the feet picture, but he worked it out in the end...
Easy, instant writing center, and the kids LOVE it!


Next sharing idea is a foldable flip book. I think this comes from Dinah Zike, who has a plethora of foldable ideas in her books that she sells. This one is my fave because it takes 1 minute to make and is such a good way to reinforce vocabulary that you are working on... Take 3 (or however many you want) pieces of paper, stagger them, fold them over and staple the top. Done and done. We made this one to practice our number words a few weeks back, but we're going to make another one this week to write about and illustrate weather and season words...





I am also super excited about this cute little teacher's apron I saw on Etsy... I wore it for the first time today and it was SOO AMAZING to have everything at my fingertips...pens, erasers, BANDAIDS, nurse passes, stickers, etc. etc. Check it out...
Click on the picture to go to the Etsy shop!!

They also have others styles if owls don't float your boat. Of course, I couldn't resist them! :) My kids were very enamored with my apron and were giving me tips about what I should put in the pockets! 

Here is a  Math freebie for you to put into your Math Stations. It is a number word graph using either a 10 sided die or 2 regular dice. The kids roll 'em, add them up or say the number and color one square that has the number word. After rolling for X amount of time, they analyze the data and answer the questions on the back. If you use 2 regular dice and they roll 11 or 12, I just told my kids to roll again...no biggie! I don't know what it is about dice graphing, but my kids go BANANAS over it. You shoulda seen them today in centers!! Click on the picture to download...
Finally, here is a picture of my sweet mommy who I love so much...What a blessing and an amazing mom she is!!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Great ideas...I especially love the fruit!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Miss Kindergarten said...

I love the apron! I made my mom make me one :) hehehe

Gina said...

WOw! what a great posting! I love the writing ideas!

Learning with Mrs. Parker said...

I have lots of magazines cut outs that I laminate. I love to use them for writing too. How lucky you are to have your mom to lean on.

Unknown said...

I just found your blog tonight and just LOVE your ideas! Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca
Teaching First

Lisa said...

I love the magazine idea! I am going to have to use that idea. Thanks for the freebie. I'm about to start number words with my kids.

Dee said...

I love the apron!! It reminds me of one I had when I was a little girl. And how nice to have your mom's help in the classroom. All of those years of experience are like a treasure trove!
Dee
First Impressions

Delighted said...

Love your blog! Beautiful picture of you and your mom! Enjoy those Precious memories...

First Grade Delight
imgoingfirst@gmail.com

Karen said...

Hi there...I love your blog, it's so fun to explore! I am Student Teacher right now and just fell in love with your magazine photo writings so we had to try it in our class today and it was so great!!!! Thank you for posting - we had 23 writers that were just having a blast, and then we even had to have a gallery walk to share them, and I posted a comments sheet next to each so they then could share reflections on viewing each other's work - our Writing Workshop was a total hit in First Grade today!!!! Thanks again....I even told them how I came up with the plan for the day, and they too thought it was so cool that it came from a blog and other students did it too :-)

~Stephanie said...

The magazine writing prompts is a wonderful idea. Thank you (and your mom) for sharing!

Your newest follower,
~Stephanie
Teaching in Room 6

Post a Comment