Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Jog-a-thon and research reports!

Happy Wednesday, friends!
For those of you on summer vacay already, this post will probably be meaningless and irrelevant to you, but for those of us still slogging away at school, here's whats happening in my neck of the woods! :)

We had our annual Jog-a-thon today! We have an Olympic theme every year, and First Grade represents the country of Australia. You know that cheer that the Aussie's do at sporting events? "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!" "Oy! Oy! Oy!" 
Well, we taught it to our Firsties and they walked out chanting it. It was pretty cool! I am happy to report that I ran exactly 1/2 of 1 lap. Hey, don't judge me! 
A-I was busy taking pictures of my kids with my "fancy" camera, and B-I certainly cannot be expected to teach after getting all hot and sweaty! Like that would EVER happen! :)

Here are some of my favorite pictures from the day...

Run, Firsties, Run!

Stretching it out...



Love this girl!

Besties forever!

He is very proud of his spiky hair! It lasted all through the Jog-a-thon!

After we finished with the Jog-a-thon, we were all TIRED, but Open House is next week, so no rest for the weary, right?? My kids are working on their Rainforest Animal research reports, and after doing some research at home, I have them get in groups to fill out their rainforest animal outlines (these outlines are courtesy of the girls from Made for First Grade-love them!)

Poison Dart Frogs

Jaguars

Blue Morpho Butterflies

Amazon River Dolphins
The kids thought they had died and gone to heaven during this activity! AND, since I was so worn out after running my 1/2 lap, I got to circulate and assist and help the kids research the info their were missing (AKA look it up on Wikipedia or the like...). GLORIOUS! I just love collaborative learning!! Tomorrow, we write our final drafts and then Friday we draw our diagrams. Good times!

Alright, I am totally knackered. Time for my bubble bath and some mindless TV!
XOXO Kerri B

2 comments:

Sailing into Second said...

I student taught at Newport Heights!! How funny!!! :D Is Daffron still there?!?

-Aris
Sailing into Second

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on running it is great to celebrate the end of a school year by participating with students. Those are some great pictures of both the jog-a-thon and the research project. The diagrams should make for interesting photos as well glad to hear that the students enjoyed working on them.


Please visit My Webblog: Online PhD UK

Post a Comment