Wednesday, February 15, 2012

100th Day Wrap-Up and a Presidents Day Freebie!

Happy Wednesday folks! Lindsay here . . .

Well, as Kerri mentioned, today we had our wet and rainy 100th Day of School!  That's right. Nothing says fun like torrential downpour and fruit loop necklaces, right?  :)

I just had to share picture of some of our cute projects (more pictures to come later, I promise!). 

First, we made our 100 year old selves for art and wrote all about what it will be like to be 100 years old!


  
I love what the bearded gentleman on the left wrote: "I will sleep as long as I want. I will buy a dog and call him Jingle."   Priorities people . . . priorities.  If you want to enjoy your golden years, you most DEFINATELY need a dog named Jingle!

My favorite of our 100 year old art were the little old ladies with their hair in white buns . . . AND this particularly cross looking 100 year old man.  Isn't he hilarious?!


Then of course we made necklaces, decorated crowns, wrote about what we would do with $100, created gumball machines with 100 gumballs, glued our 100 items brought from home, and made trail mix.  Phew!!!  We were busy little bees today -  and my kids got everything done and said it was the best day ever!  (Cue warm, fuzzy feeling in my heart!)

Here are my kidlets counting 10 groups of 10 fruit loops for their necklaces.  

Writing their "I Wish I Had 100" poems.

Well now that all that madness fun is over, there is still more to do with Presidents Day!  I created this little Venn Diagram freebie to do with my kidlets now that we have learned about both Lincoln and Washington.  They were already making so many great text-to-text connections between the books we had read about both men.  I can't wait to stretch their little brains a bit more and really make them think of more similarities and differences between the two.

Click on the image below to link up with the document.



But the BEST moment of all during our mini-lesson on George Washington came as I was asking some questions at the end of the read-aloud . . .

Me (to students): Now do any of you think you know why they nicknamed Washington "The Father of Our Country?"
Student: Because he looks like my grandpa.

Classic.

Anyhow, enjoy the freebie, and hope you all have a great Presidents' Day holiday.  Our district gets a whole week off . . .not to rub it in or anything! ;)

Happy teaching!

Lindsay


10 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like fun!!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue Skies

Kelly said...

Just found your guys' blog...so many great ideas, can't believe I hadn't discovered it until now!! We just had our 100th day, too...I think you got way more done than me!

Kelly
"Kindergarten Kel

Miss Kindergarten said...

When a kinder position opens up at your school PLEASE pick me!!! Haha

amy.lemons said...

Those 100 year olds sure are precious!

Unknown said...

I am so glad you made this and shared it! I was talking to my Kinders today about the two Presidents and wishing I had a chart for them! So perfect! Thank you! :)
Cheryl
Crayons and Curls

Kristin said...

Love your Venn Diagram with the coins on it!!! Clever!
Cute Grandpa saying! Ha!!!!
Your fruit loop necklace mats are WAY WAY WAY cuter than mine. And now I feel the need to remake mine for next year.
Your 100 Year Old portraits are TOO TOO CUTE!!!!!
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

meadowt said...

What a great 100th day of school! Love the venn diagram. Thanks for sharing.
Barbara
happyteachingfirst.blogspot.com

Megan said...

Looks like fun. I love the 100 poem idea- I haven't seen that one before.

Lisa Howard said...

The the coins on the venn diagram. Very smart!

- Lisa
a teachers bag of tricks

Sarah Paul said...

Looks like fun!
Sarah
Sarah's First Grade Snippets

Post a Comment